Taking a temperature with the Kinsa Stick is incredibly easy! Below are two videos of the process with written instructions as well.
Note: Avoid eating or drinking any liquids, exercising, taking showers or baths, or smoking for 15 minutes prior to use, as these activities can cause mild elevations in temperature.
- Open the Kinsa app on your smartphone.
- Plug the Kinsa thermometer into your phone. It’s recommended that you use the extension cord that came with the Kinsa as it will likely help return a more accurate reading (and will be more comfortable).
- On the temperature tab, choose your method for taking a temperature (oral, underarm, or rectal).
- Place the thermometer according to your desired reading location (under the base of the tongue, in the bend of the armpit, or with only the silver tip placed in the rectum)
- For oral readings, place the silver tip of the thermometer under the tongue and as far back as you can without it being uncomfortable. It should rest on one of the “heat pockets” (see image below) located on the bottom of the mouth to the right or left side of the base of the tongue. Relax the tongue and close the lips firmly over the thermometer. Placing the thermometer in one of these heat pocket locations will provide the most accurate temperature readings. Avoid placing it directly under the front of the tongue.
- For underarm readings, make sure that no clothes are in the way. Underarm readings are normally 1-2 degrees F or 0.6-1.1 degrees C lower than oral readings. The Kinsa app automatically takes this into account when indicating whether you have a fever or not.
- For rectal readings, please see our Blog post How to Take a Baby's Rectal Temperature for some very useful information on taking your baby’s readings.