Taking a temperature with the Kinsa Smart Ear is incredibly easy! Check out a video of the process below, along with written instructions as well.
Avoid eating or drinking any liquids, exercising, taking showers or baths, or smoking for 15 minutes prior to use, as these activities can cause mild elevations in temperature.
- Open the Kinsa app on your smartphone.
- Turn the thermometer on by pressing the big button. You will hear a beep.
- For infants under the age of 1, gently tug the ear straight back to straighten the ear canal to ensure an accurate temperature reading. For children over the age of 1 and adults, gently tug the ear straight up and back.
- Fit the probe snugly into the ear canal.
- Press the big button again. After one second you will hear a beep indicating the reading is complete.
If the Kinsa app is not running while taking a reading, the Smart Ear will still store it (up to 50 readings max). The next time you run the Kinsa app while the Smart Ear is on, all readings will transfer and get removed from the thermometer to make more room. For details please see our article on importing readings.
Note: Due to the wide variety of shapes, sizes, and growth rates of the ear canals of newborns, the Mayo Clinic recommends waiting until babies are at least six months old before using ear thermometers in general. Ear thermometers use an infrared ray to measure the temperature inside the ear, and so earwax or a small, curved ear canal can interfere with the accuracy of a temperature reading.
For more advice, please check out this article from the Mayo Clinic: Thermometer Age Guidelines