Taking a temperature with the Kinsa Smart Ear is incredibly easy! Check out a video of the process here, along with written instructions as well.
To ensure accuracy, avoid eating or drinking any liquids, exercising, taking showers or baths, or smoking for 15 minutes prior to use, as these activities can cause mild elevations in temperature.
- Open the Kinsa app on your smartphone.
- Turn the thermometer on by pressing the big button. You will hear a beep.
- Use the proper technique for infants or adults:
- For infants under the age of 1, gently tug the ear straight back to straighten the ear canal to ensure an accurate temperature reading.
- For children over the age of 1 and adults, gently tug the ear straight up and back.
- Fit the probe snugly into the ear canal.
- Press the big button again. After one second you will hear a beep indicating the reading is complete.
Note: Ear thermometers use an infrared ray to measure the temperature inside the ear, and so earwax or a small, curved ear canal can interfere with the accuracy of a temperature reading. Follow this guide to maintain your Smart Ear thermometer's accuracy.