Taking a temperature with the Kinsa Ear is incredibly easy! Below is a video of the process with written instructions as well.
Note: Avoid eating or drinking any liquids, exercising, taking showers or baths, or smoking for 15 minutes prior to use, as these activities can cause mild elevations in temperature.
- Open the Kinsa app on your smartphone.
- Turn the thermometer on by pressing the big button. You will hear a beep.
- To ensure an accurate temperature reading, it’s recommended to gently tug the ear straight up and back.
- Fit the probe snugly into the ear canal.
- Press the big button again. After one second you will hear a beep indicating the reading is complete.
If the Kinsa app is not running while taking a reading, the Smart Ear will still store it (up to 50 readings max). The next time you run the Kinsa app while the Smart Ear is on, all readings will transfer and get removed from the thermometer to make more room. For details please see our article on importing readings.
NOTE: The U.S. Mayo Clinic has the following recommendations for digital ear thermometers:
"Digital ear thermometers are appropriate for infants older than age 6 months, older children and adults." but “Digital ear thermometers aren't recommended for newborns.” *
However please research the best method for taking your infant’s temperature on your own.