An Err message can appear on the built-in display if:
- the probe tip is moved too much or removed too early during a reading
- the thermometer has an internal problem
You can typically fix an Err message by resetting the thermometer:
To reset the Kinsa QuickCare wireless stick thermometer:
- Put the edge of a coin (not a tool) into the slot on the back cover, then twist the coin counterclockwise until the back cover pops off.
- Flip the thermometer over so the back cover and battery can drop away.
- Remove any dirt from the battery cavity which might block a good connection.
- Put the battery back into the battery cavity, with the battery’s reflective side facing up.
- Replace the back cover, with the rim’s square notch aligned with the thermometer’s own notch.
- Use the edge of a coin again and twist clockwise until the back cover’s padlock symbol aligns with the thermometer’s own notch.
- With the battery door closed, push the button to complete the reset.