An Err message can appear on the thermometer's display if:
- the sensor is too warm before powering on the thermometer
- the temperature reading is incomplete
- the thermometer has an internal problem
To fix this error, hold down the round button to turn off the thermometer, check that nothing is blocking the sensor, like ear wax or dirt. If dirty be sure to give it a quick clean with some alcohol and a cotton swab. Then click the round button to turn it back on. Pro Tip: You will need to turn on the thermometer before placing the sensor in the ear canal.
If that doesn't fix the error, follow these steps to reset the thermometer:
If your Smart Ear does not have a side button:
- Slide the battery cover down, then pull it away to remove the battery cover.
- Remove the batteries.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Put the batteries back, using the picture guide in the battery compartment to put them back in the correct orientation.
- Turn on the thermometer by pushing the round button to complete the reset.
And if your Smart Ear does have a side button:
- Push and release the round button to turn on the thermometer.
- Push and hold the round button.
- Push and hold the small side button.
- Hold down both buttons until the display's Bluetooth symbol is flashing.
Your thermometer has now been reset which should fix the problem.
But if your thermometer still shows an Err message after following these steps, please tell our Customer Happiness team that you've followed this "Fix Err on Smart Ear" guide and we'll take care of it!