Reading this in the Kinsa app? To follow this guide more easily, open this website on another browser or device: kinsa.help/AndroidToSmartEar
If the Kinsa app on your Android isn’t getting readings from your Smart Ear thermometer, don’t worry! This guide will fix that for you.
Before you begin, first check:
- Have you given the Kinsa app access to your location?
- Without location data, your Android device will not connect with your thermometer. Learn more.
- Have you tried restarting your Android device yet?
- The old turn-it-off-and-on-again trick is still remarkably useful for fixing Bluetooth glitches.
- Was the thermometer connected with any other mobile devices?
- Kinsa thermometers can only connect with one device at a time. Before making a new connection, old connections should first be removed from other devices; both from the ⚙️ Settings inside the Kinsa app, and from the list of paired Bluetooth devices in the other devices' own Settings app.
- Do you still have the older Kinsa Smart Stick app on any device?
- If yes, you’ll need to remove the Smart Ear from within that older app (you don't have to delete the app itself) to avoid interference with the newer Kinsa app on your own device.
If you made any changes after these checks, the problem might already be fixed. To test, open the Kinsa app first* then take a new thermometer reading. If the reading appears in the app, you’re all set!
But if the reading doesn't appear, follow these steps:
- If the thermometer is on, hold down the round button to turn it off.
- On your Android device, open a web browser and visit this website: kinsa.help/android
- If you see an UPDATE button, tap it and wait for the update to complete.
- If you see an OPEN button, don't tap it and go to step 3.
- Open your Android device's Settings app > Bluetooth > Turn on the Bluetooth switch.
- Below this switch, if you see a paired device starting with KS_ or AViTA > tap its ⚙️gear button > Unpair
- Restart your Android device. More details.
- Turn on Airplane Mode. More details.
- Open the Kinsa app > ⚙️ Settings gear > Smart Ear > Forget Thermometer > OK
- Force close the Kinsa app. More details.
- Reset the thermometer.
- If the thermometer does not have a side button, remove and reinsert the batteries.
- If the thermometer does have a side button, hold down both buttons until the Bluetooth symbol is flashing on the display. Then hold down the round button to power off.
- Turn off Airplane mode. More details
- Open the Kinsa app > ⚙️ Settings gear > ⨁ Add New Thermometer
- Push the round button on the thermometer.
- On the alert that appears, tap Connect. If you see another alert, tap Pair.
You’re done! The connection between the thermometer and the app has now been fixed. Test again by opening the Kinsa app first* then taking a new thermometer reading.
But if your Android device still isn’t receiving readings from your Smart Ear thermometer, we're so sorry and we're here to make it right. Please tell our Customer Happiness team that you’ve already followed this "Android to Smart Ear troubleshooting guide" and we’ll take care of the rest!
* If the thermometer is within range (about 10 feet) and the Kinsa app is open before a new thermometer reading is taken, that reading will appear in the app immediately. But if the app is not open before new readings are taken, those readings will be sent to the app every 10 to 15 minutes to save the thermometer's battery life.