Reading this in the Kinsa app? To follow this guide more easily, open this website on another browser or device: kinsa.help/AndroidToSmartEar
If you aren't getting readings from your Smart Ear thermometer on your Android phone, don’t worry! This guide will fix that for you. Usually, the fix is simple, your Kinsa thermometer is connected to multiple phones or it just needs a quick reset. Let's start with the simple stuff.
First, check the following:
- Have you given the Kinsa app access to your location?
- Without location data, your Android will not connect with your thermometer. Location access is an Android requirement, but they are working to change this! Learn more.
- Have you tried restarting your phone yet?
- The old turn-it-off-and-on-again trick is still remarkably useful for fixing Bluetooth glitches.
- Reset the thermometer
- If your Smart Ear does not have a side button, just remove and reinsert the batteries.
- If the Smart Ear does have a side button, hold down the side button and round button on top until the Bluetooth symbol is flashing on the display. (Should take about 10 seconds).
- Was the thermometer connected with any other mobile devices?
- Kinsa thermometers can only connect with one device at a time. Before making a new connection, old connections should first be removed from other devices. To ensure your Kinsa isn't connected with more than one phone tap the ⚙️ Settings icon in the Kinsa app to view the list of paired Bluetooth devices. Be sure to do this on any phone your Kinsa is/was connected to.
- Do you still have the older Kinsa Smart Stick app on any device?
- If yes, you’ll need to remove the Smart Ear from within that older app (you don't have to delete the app itself) to avoid interference with the newer Kinsa app on your own device.
If you made any changes after these checks, the problem might already be fixed. To test, open the Kinsa app first then take a new thermometer reading. If the reading appears in the app, you’re all set!
But if the reading doesn't appear, follow these steps:
- If the thermometer is on, hold down the round button to turn it off.
- On your Android device, open a web browser and visit this website: kinsa.help/android
- If you see an UPDATE button, tap it and wait for the update to complete.
- If you see an OPEN button, go to step 3.
- Open the Settings app, then tap Bluetooth to turn on the Bluetooth switch.
- Below this switch, if you see a paired device starting with KS_ or AViTA, tap the ⚙️gear button for that device, then finally tap, Unpair.
- Next, restart your Android device. More details.
- Then turn on Airplane Mode. More details.
- Open the Kinsa app, tap the ⚙️ Settings gear, then tap Smart Ear, now tap Forget Thermometer, then, OK
- Force close the Kinsa app. More details.
- Reset the thermometer.
- If the thermometer does not have a side button, remove and reinsert the batteries.
- If the thermometer does have a side button, hold down both buttons until the Bluetooth symbol is flashing on the display. Then hold down the round button to power off.
- Turn off Airplane mode. More details
- Open the Kinsa app, tap ⚙️ Settings gear then tap,⨁ Add New Thermometer
- When prompted, push the round button on your thermometer.
- Tap Connect, when prompted in the app. If you see another alert, tap Pair.
And you’re done! The connection between the thermometer and the app should be fixed. Test by opening the Kinsa app, then take a new thermometer reading.
But if your Android device still isn’t receiving readings from your Smart Ear thermometer, please tell our Customer Happiness team that you’ve already followed this "Android to Smart Ear troubleshooting guide" and we’ll take care of the rest!
* Note: If the thermometer is within range (about 10 feet) and the Kinsa app is open before a new thermometer reading is taken, that reading will appear in the app immediately. But if the app is not open before new readings are taken, those readings will be sent to the app every 10 to 15 minutes to save the thermometer's battery life.